When I was growing up, we would drive about an hour every Sunday to have a huge family meal at my great-grandmothers house. Grandma’s old fashioned macaroni and cheese baked with tons of cheese was always on the table.
Every single week. Why?
Because creamy macaroni and cheese is one of the best parts of life.
This post contains affiliate links and/or ads. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read more about it on my Disclaimer page.
Sometimes I want to recreate that homemade goodness for my own family. This recipe that is just like grandma’s old fashioned mac and cheese recipe has a creamy cheese sauce and a crispy cheesy topping.
Here is the deal, this creamy mac and cheese is packed with three, yes THREE types of cheese.
Cheddar, mozzarella, and Parmesan come together in this insanely cheesy mac and cheese.
Here is the thing; make sure you shred the cheese at home and do not buy pre-shredded cheese at the supermarket. Trust me, the cheese melts better and tastes so much better.
How To Prepare Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
First, bring a large pot of water to a boil for the noodles. While the water is coming to a boil, begin to prepare the cheese sauce.
Melt butter and garlic in a large saucepan. Simmer for approximately one minute, then add the flour.
Whisk milk slowly into the flour mixture and make sure all the clumps are out before adding in additional milk. Keep adding milk and whisking until smooth and simmering.
Cheese, lots and lots of cheese.
Remove the creamy milk sauce from the heat and slowly stir in the cheddar a bit at a time until smooth and creamy. Then do the same with the mozzarella.
Along the way, noodles were added to the boiling water and cooked until not quite al dente.
Drain the noodle well and pour into a casserole or baking pan. Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and stir well.
In a small bowl, mix grated Parmesan cheese, panko crumbs and Italian seasoning.
Sprinkle this flavor bomb topping over the old fashioned macaroni and cheese mixture.
Grandmas’s old fashioned mac and cheese with panko crumbs? Yes! Please!
Pop this delicious creamy dish in the oven at 350 F degrees for 30 minutes.
If you prefer a browned crispy topping, place under the broiler for just a couple minutes (keep a close eye on the mac and cheese while under the broiler.
There you go.
Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese just like grandma used to make. This can also transform i nto a fancy baked mac and cheese recipe.
Comfort food at its finest.
Be sure to subscribe in order to receive the latest updates.
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Bring eight cups water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook approximately 9-10 minutes or until not quite al dente. Drain well and remove from heat when cooked.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt six tablespoons butter. Add in two cloves minced garlic and cook an additional minute stirring occasionally.
- Next, whisk in one half cup flour and cook for two additional minutes whisking constantly.
- Slowly whisk in four cups milk, one-half cup at a time. Ensure that the milk is thoroughly mixed and smooth before adding in more milk.
- Once the milk is thoroughly mixed in and smooth, bring the mixture to a slow simmer, whisking constantly.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in three and a half cups cheddar cheese one-half cup at a time. Then repeat with the mozzarella cheese. Stir in one teaspoon black pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix in three quarter cup panko crumbs, on third cup grated Parmesan cheese, and one teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Pour the penne pasta in a 9x13 baking pan. Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta and mix well.
- Sprinkle the panko and Parmesan mixture evenly over the top of the pasta mixture.
- Bake for thirty minutes at 350 F degrees. If a crispy brown topping is preferred, the old fashioned macaroni and cheese can bake under the broiler for approximately two minutes. Keep a careful eye on it to ensure that it does not become burnt.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545 Total Fat: 31.7g Saturated Fat: 19.5g Cholesterol: 126mg Sodium: 560mg Carbohydrates: 38.9g Fiber: 0.4g Sugar: 5.9g Protein: 26.8g